It might be a trite tautology, but it’s the reason why companies like Google, Microsoft and Apple will dominate their markets for years to come.
Once you are a market leader, it becomes very hard for competitors to steal your crown because everything works in your favour.
- Large numbers of people are invested in you and don’t want you to fail
- Every competitor is compared to you, so you get mentioned in every article and review.
- Your brand protects your customers; they don’t get the blame when things go wrong.
- You have more power than your competitors, so they can’t cut better deals.
- You have more money than your competitors, so they can’t out-market you and they can’t out-develop you.
Which begs the question, can small businesses succeed?
They can and they do, most notably by:
- Using technology to disrupt markets, like Uber and Airbnb.
- Focusing on small but significant customer segments. Becoming the big fish in a small pool.
What pool are you the big fish in? We can help you find out.